Friday, February 10, 2017

Ancient History part 1

I'm no historian but I do love food. One of my fascinations is what other cultures other than my own used to eat and how they at it. I've not done a lot of research but what little bit I've come across I find fascinating.

These dates look amazing and I would've loved to have sampled them. I've seen recipe books for sale on Amazon and eBay and intend to try them out sometime.
 Another sweet treat I've read about this is supposed to be one of the treats that Cleopatra used to eat. Unless I have the name mixed up with another sweet treat the website I found the recipe for it called it Cleopatra's Dulcis Coccora. The recipe books I've been looking at have recipes for anything from sweet treats, breads, fish, other meats, fruits and vegetables. It's an amazing list though no doubt incomplete since so much of history was never written down or was somehow lost.
This is no doubt a small sample of what a  typical roman table and spread would've looked like. This is probably part of what a simple or peasants table would've had.
 One of my first attempts (that I'm planning) will be some bread. Not sure which recipe I'll try but I do plan on it being some kind of bread. To bad none of the emperors had recipe books stored in any volcano proof location for later generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment